Discover the wisdom and magic of Appalachia through Mountain Magic, an illustrated guide to the occult power of the hills and hollows.
The people of Appalachia and the American backwoods have a long and deep magical tradition, one rooted in the power of place, land, and nature. With a creativity and ingenuity born of necessity, Appalachian witches built and sustained a wealth of magical knowledge drawn from European, Native American, and African American folk magic. Guided by expert witch and forager Rebecca Beyer, you can explore the wisdom of this powerful place:
- Learn medical and magical uses for common plants and herbs
- Meet the traditional magical practitioners of Appalachia, from Blood Stoppers to Water Witches
- Delve into a wealth of charms and curses, from witchballs to love workings
- Follow the lore of the stars and seasons to grow and thrive
Some of the magic and culture you will encounter in this enchanted guide include:
- Magical lore surrounding the weather, seasons, and the movements of the moon and stars
- Recipes for a tonic salad to move the blood in springtime and a cleansing spicebush tea
- Profiles of the medicinal and magical properties of some essential mountain plants, including ginseng, blackberry, poke, sassafras, and mullein
- Charms to protect from evil, including witch bottles, a holly twig charm, and the SATOR ROTAS square
With this beautifully illustrated guide, you can bring the wisdom and magic of the backwoods to meet the challenges of modern life, building a magical practice that's fueled by ancestral traditions and the nourishing power of the natural world.